Tuesday, 4 July 2017

Want some candy?

I've gone all Oldhammer again and painted another unit of Harlequins. These clowns will join what is now becoming a medium sized force, with ten infantry, two characters and three jetbikes (or 'Skyweavers' in new money).



I am really pleased I opted for the 'candy stripe' scheme when I started this army. It's pretty easy to paint and conjures up the circus vibe I was going for. I love the lozenge patterns which are traditional for Harlequins but the thought of rolling them out over an entire army terrifies me. Even more than the idea of bouncing murder-bastard clowns.

I would love to do a looted vehicle next to bulk these guys out. Perhaps something that 'counts as' a Starweaver? Or maybe some Imperial Robots which the Harles could program to dance awkwardly in their performances (while they chant, "Do the robot!").

♠  ♢ ♣ ♤ ♥ ♧♦♦◊△ ▲▽ ▼

14 comments:

  1. What about a Land Raider conversion? I remember in the Rogue Trader Harlequin army list there was a story about a Land Raider that had been 'acquired' by a harlequin troupe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/4/43/Land_Raider_Harlequin_1st_Edition2.jpg

      :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Horned and Kurgan - yes, I do very much remember that illustration. A Land Raider may be a little big for the small force I have at this stage though.

      Delete
  2. Really nie, the unified crests and weapon colours are a real god idea to tie them abit and avoid that rainbow riot look.
    Really nice.
    That's a nice Shadow Wars group you have here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Assless - yeah, I was really pleased with the way the metals and red spot colour tie the group together. There are also 'rules' about the pastel hue of the off-white, it's cool for warm bodysuits (yellow and orange), and warm for the green suits.

      Delete
  3. Very crisp! <3

    I've always wanted to paint some harlequins in the scheme of Psyclown from BIOFreaks. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchin - I'll have to look him up!

      Delete
  4. I like how these are so very clearly harlies without the diamond pattern. I have a small army worth sitting around ready to be painted, and I am terrified of getting going with patterns and colors and all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candy stripes are the way to go, Lasgun!

      Delete
    2. I have watched Duncan's video about painting diamonds, and it does not look impossible... so I will certainly have to give a go. Checks and dags and candy stripe may be a fall back!

      Delete
  5. Is that a Predator 2 reference?

    They look really good. Models that small are very hard to paint in much detail, and even if the detail's neat, it can still overrun the miniature. I like the way you've kept them quite simple, but stylish. I really ought to have a go at redoing my old metal harlies. Dettox time once again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is!

      Thanks Toby - yes, simple but stylish is the name of the game!

      Delete
  6. Love them; great work. Also looked back through your blog and I'm loving the old school styled Blood Angels with the camo tank - that has always been on my to do list....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Kym. More to come to stay tuned.

      Delete